Tuesday, December 12, 2006

IT'S A WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR

I just love this time of year and and as a family we always have so much fun. We have lots of traditions that we continue and we try some new things too. On the 1st of December we always put up an advent calendar that I made when the girls were small (it's ugly and it's dirty but they won't let me change it) with something different to do everyday. This year I didn't get it up until the second but that was o.k. - they got their annual cheap chocolate advent calendars that they still love to get. We started putting up decorations and on the 4th we went to get our tree. It was a beautiful, snowy night. With 4 girls there was a different opinion on every tree and in the end - Dad lost out - but our tree is beautiful. After letting it drip off for about an hour we were finally able to decorate it. This year we had to take Lincoln (the 11 yr. old, 100 pound, deaf dog) with the stipulation he couldn't get out at the tree lot as I feared he would pee on every tree. I was able to go when after I vetoed it Chris leaned over and whispered to me "you know, it could be his last." O.K. what was I supposed to do then but give in. He stayed in the van, watched us and did whine or howl at everyone he saw - so he did good!!

We have been enjoying baking gingerbread men, making a gingerbread house, wrapping gifts, writing Christmas cards to special people, stringing popcorn and cranberries and last night went shopping. We had an extra special treat when our good friend Cathy was at her coffee shop - and even though it was closed - she treated us to YUMMY Candy Cane Hot Chocolates. MMM!!! It was a great time but at the end, Hannah and Molly couldn't find me and Molly got a little upset. After we relocated each other I reassured Molly that I would never go off and leave her. Hannah then chimed in - "that's what they always told me, but they left me at church one day." Thanks for the reassurance Hannah! We came home and had some fun making jewelry.

In the middle of the Christmas fun and anticipation poor Ashleigh continues to plug away and school and grades and scholarship forms. Life goes on even during the holidays. A good friend of hers also lost her mom on Friday - so, so sad - 47 years old and sick for only 2 weeks. A terrible tragedy, especially at this timeof year and tough life lessons to learn.

We're going to continue our Christmas fun but we never forget the reason that we truely celebrate Christmas! You know - I believe that Jesus liked a good party too and is smiling down seeing all of us have fun this time of year!

2 Comments:

Blogger Murray's Corner said...

sounds like you guys are all ready for christmas!! Have a great one!

12:34 AM  
Blogger holly said...

hey!

you haven't posted in a while...just wondering how the austin clan was doin'. :)

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home