Friday, September 29, 2006

When I Grow Up I Wanna Be.......

Monday and Tuesday Chris and I were able to sneek away for a night - out to Cavendish. We were hosting the Atlantic Youth Leaders. We basically arranged accomodations and provided food. Boy - when people get away can they eat!!!!!!! It was a nice time to reacquaint ourselves with some of the other youth leaders around. Kinda weird when a couple of the youth leaders wives were once in our youth group. Weird but also cool to see them involved in ministry now. We were staying at Kindred Spirits Country Inn (my former place of employment) and we were in one of the cottages. Mon. afternoon I didn't have to attend any of the sessions so I did what I always saw the tourists doing and thought to myself "one of these days I am going to do that." I spent the afternoon on the couch, with snacks and watched the whole first Anne of Green Gables videos. Uninterupted (well, except for Chris coming in and out - but he didn't ask me to get up and do anything) WOO HOO!!!
We called home that night and Ashleigh told us that the kitchen sink was plugged. Her directions - put the liquid plumber in it! When we got home Tues. afternoon we found a note that said - "Mom and Dad, this house is sucky - everything is plugged!!!!!!!!!!!!" Yes, all the downstairs plumbing was plugged up, clogged, stopped up - whatever you want to call it. We tried more liquid plumber, plunging and staring at the drain to no avail. Finally, I pulled out the Readers Digest Home Repair book and looked up "clogged drains". We followed the directions and found the source of the plug in the pipes downstairs. It was locate din a pipe that was only about six inches from the wall and behind the furnace. Chris had to leave for volleyball and said he would fix it later. With everything stuck we couldn't do much so I set out to fix the problem. I carefully placed buckets under the plugged pipe so when the plug let go I'd catch all the water. With 2 pokes of a chopstick the water came gushing alright - all over me! Thankfully I was equipped with gloves and safety goggles! But I was wet and it began to burn a bit - liquid plumber I think. I took care of that and set out to declog the clog. Honestly - it was a good thing I did it because my dear husband was not blessed with the gift of flexibility and believe me, you needed some to get behind the furnace and next to the wall to do it. I poked and prodded with a hanger, chopsticks, plastic spoon and fork but couldn't seem to break it up. I was left with no other option but to stick my finger up there and find out what I was dealing with. IT WAS SO DISGUSTING!!!!!!! As I continued to work away at the monster in the pipe, nasty water still ran down my arm and occasionally in my hair. Then I found 5 popcycle sticks in the pipe!!! I had to use a pair of scissors to reach up there and cut them and then try to pull them out. I don't know how many times I had to stick my bare finger up there to find out if there was more "CLOG" or sticks. I"ve done my best to try to forget whatever it was I was feeling up there. But, I successfully declogged the clog!!!! Where did those popcycle sticks come from? In the end my shirts was ruined from all this black stuff that get dripping on me, and I had a raw spot on my finger from reaching up inside that nasty pipe, but everything was now running smoothly downstairs. I showered and rinsed the black stuff off of me that had run down my arm into my armpit and down my body and washed my hair. Then I was off to Lauryn play volleyball and only missed 1 set. A plumber I never aspired to be - and I'll stick to nursing! I've never had to put my finger inside anything and pull out something hairy and slimey!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger holly said...

yuck.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Murray's Corner said...

sounds lovely!!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home