Tuesday, August 22, 2006

WHO WOULD YOU BE?

Last night around the dinner table, Chris (my husband) was playing the "would you rather" game with our girls. Questions like - "would you rather be stuck in an elevator with Donald Trump or Nelson Mandela?" or "would you rather have 1 extremely famous friend or 100 good friends?" Always provides interesting converstion amongst the family. Also teaches all to appreciate each others differences and opinions - and you can imagine with 4 girls - there are always differences in opinions. Then the question was asked - "If you could be anyone on TV who would you be?" There was a bit of a pause before anyone decided to answer. I quietly said "Ty Pennington" and one of the girls heard me and laughed which everyone else joined in. Feeling the need to explain that one - I quickly told them it wasn't about being him but being able to do what he does. To have the resources and be able to make a difference in someones world in such a dramatic way!!! I would love to spend my days like that.


The first week of August I spent a week in very hot Bridgeton, New Jersey on a Group Workcamp with 8 great youth from our youth group. We were all seperated into crews with youth & leaders from all over the US and we did work projects for those who less fortunate. The picture is my crew and our resident, Mr. Paul. We painted the entire exterior of his very small home and the whole interior. A large wheelchair ramp was also built to allow Mr. Paul to leave his home. The youth worked so hard and completed the project in 5 days - in 100 degree plus weather everyday. For one week I lived the extreme makeover - but - we didn't have the plush bus - we stayed in a high school with NO air conditioning, group showers but there were great kids who loved the Lord and were there to show Jesus to Bridgeton. There were 320 people who completed 54 projects that week. So, I did have the resources that week, even when we had to dig deep to find them, to rock someones world.

To do what Ty does every week and to do what we did that week in August is awesome but not my reality. My reality is rocking the world of my family, the youth I work with and the people in my community everyday. It's not as glamorous and won't make me famous but hopefully will pay it forward someday! It is a privilege (I have to remind myself almost daily), although not glamours, to everyday be able to make an impact - even though it may seem small - in someones world. I thank the Lord for that privilege.

4 Comments:

Blogger holly said...

hey michele!!!

welcome to the world of blogging!!! :) i'm getting into this too. haven't had a WHOLE lot of time to get into it, but ah well... someday, hopefully...i'll have a rainy day to work on it!!! :) (actually, i've heard it's more addictive than scrapbooking!!) lol.

anyways...just writing to say HI and GREAT JOB on this!! keep it up!!! ttyl.

1:30 PM  
Blogger boomama said...

I totally get why you want to be Ty. :-)

And what a blessing you and your youth group must have been - y'all were the Great Commission in action! I am encouraged and blessed by reading this post....

11:39 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Our youth group also did this. What a blessing it is! thanks for sharing.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ty!

What a fabulous experience that must have been. A real stretch...

Love your blog...good for you!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home